Saturday, August 31, 2013

Murder in the Tower of Happiness


As a mystery writer, I read a lot of mysteries. Any writer should read writers in their genre not to copy but for either as a lesson of what not to do or as inspiration. Murder in the Tower of Happiness, definitely falls into the inspiration category. 

Because I set my murders in a variety of places, I know how important setting the scene is, and author M.M. Tawfik makes Egypt seem so real that I can almost hear the crowds and feel the heat.

He also draws characters that are so realistic that it is if they are in the room with me.

Admitedly, I know Tawfik and have appreciated what I've seen of his writing since we first met with the Geneva Writers Group a couple of decades ago. In principle I always try and buy books from people I know in support, but buying them doesn't mean I want to shout their praise (Katie Hayoz's Untethered is another praise shouter book). 

I'm also a bit jealous of Tawfik. The original version of the novel was in Arabic and anyone who can write well in one language is worthy of praise. As translator of his own work, he writes well in two languages. Perhaps because the original language is Arabic, the beauty of the language takes this novel above the average mystery.


1 comment:

Merc said...

It's a great book and his second, Candy Girl, is just out in English.